Sunday, August 24, 2014

it's not everyday your best friend turns 30

So, my best friend turned 30 this year!  We have a tradition of treating each other to some kind of birthday fun, and this year was no exception.  Given that this was the BIG 3-0, her mom, husband, and I threw her a surprise birthday party, but I still wanted to do something for just the two of us.  I started researching ideas a few months ago (after all, I wanted it to be the p-e-r-f-e-c-t day) and hatched this little plan...of course, I changed my mind multiple times, but ultimately, decided to pursue my original idea and am so glad I did.

Rodeo Drive!!!!!!!!

We started the afternoon at The Blvd, an art deco style restaurant at the Beverly Hills Wilshire (of Pretty Woman fame)!  We loved the vibe (and music), but unfortunately, the food wasn't as good.  The presentation was striking, but the taste buds were under-impressed.    

Naturally, the day wouldn't be complete without a food pic.  

Via Rodeo!

Front of the hotel

Stop two was supposed to be pedicures at Olive and June, an environmentally friendly nail salon with services like "The Margot" and "The Olive."  It came highly recommended and sounded like tons of fun.  Too bad we were turned away because they were booked solid! :-(  (we won't talk about how I called twice to make sure they could take us without a reservation)  It's a good thing the BFF was so understanding!  Despite our little setback, we pulled out our iPhones and found another salon within walking distance.  It was quite relaxing, and our toes looked be-a-u-tiful.

Finally, no outing would be complete without something sweet.  We found a cute French bakery and enjoyed iced mocha's and split an amazing almond croissant.

                              Fortunately, one of us (and it wasn't me) made sure we took a selfie.

I am beyond blessed by this girls friendship.  We've known each other for more than half our lives and have been friends for sixteen.  She's seen the good, bad, and the ugly and hasn't run away yet!  We've laughed and cried together (okay, I may have done more of the crying part), stayed up 'til 3:00 a.m. watching movies more times I care to admit, and have cooked some seriously elaborate meals.  We've navigated the challenges of a cross-country relationship and come out closer than ever. I don't have to explain myself or my family to her and can just be. How many people can you say that about?!  All-in all, it was wonderful having an afternoon to ourselves to just hang out enjoy each others company.   

No comments: