Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Day in Julian

Wood flowers I bought to fill my bud vase.

Yesterday, some ladies from church went on a day trip to Julian, CA. Having never been there, I thought it would an interesting excursion. What was supposed to be a short day trip turned out to be a bit more than I expected. First, I'm not exactly the biggest fan of antique stores and crafty type shops, but Julian is an historic mining town and that aspect appealed to me. We split up into two groups, and our group had no trouble finding the little town. After a two hour and fifteen minute drive full of two-lane highways and multiple twists and turns, we arrived to find it was exactly what I had expected, a very quaint, little town with pretty much nothing to see. That in itself wasn't necessarily a bad thing provided we only stayed for a couple of hours, but the other car made a wrong turn and arrived four hours late! Aside from the annoyance of them getting lost, their detours affected us too because we decided to stay in Julian until they arrived. We went into every shop, checked out each restuarant menu, and walked up and down the street more than once. Now, mind you, there is one main drag about two blocks in length and a few shops off the main street. And that's it! By the time we left all of the merchandise was beginning to look the same. Eight hours later we got home, and I decided that one trip to Julian was enough for my lifetime!

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Scrapbook Update

I'm still not done with the scrapbook. Nuts! I thought I would have finished it by Thursday, and until last night thought I was. But after the event additional contributions arrived, and I have a little more work to do. Fortunately, it's only another 4 pages or so. Now I'm all fired up to start my graduation scrapbook only I need more supplies first. I decided I didn't buy near enough to thought I had everything, but after working on this album I think I need a few more items really to personalize the book.

Here are some pictures I took (finally) of the scrapbook and a photo of the book being presented to Dr. Hansen. The reflection was not my friend for these pictures. :)

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Another Busy Night

Okay. I know I'm no longer a student, but tonight has felt like I was back in the throes of the never-ending cycle of deadlines and tasks. Unfortunately, I hardly accomplished anything on my to-do list for last weekend. I did complete one page in my grad scrapbook, decided I need more plain paper, and finished editing an interview. Period, end of story. Oh, I also made a much-needed trip to South Coast Plaza to take my LV bag in for repair. :( While I planned on redeeming my somewhat unproductive weekend by tackling a 'weekend project' this evening, I had a slight change of plans.

What has me frantically working is another scrapbook. We are having a celebration this weekend honoring the Center's 40th anniversary. Simultaneously, we will be vetting long-time and newly retired director, Dr. Art Hansen, and I volunteered to help assemble his congratulatory scrapbook. That probably explains why I have taken over the floor next to me with paper, a wide variety of cards, letters, and photographs, rubber cement, scissors, stack of completed pages, and tiny pieces of paper littering my floor. Yikes! And to top it off, I need to finish it by Thursday! No pressure, right? :) I'm having a blast putting together the pages, however I have to continually remind myself I don't have a lot of time to get every minute detail perfect. Creativity is wonderful, as long as it does not exceed five minutes per page. (I have only half succeeded in adhering to this deadline.) So, by Thursday I should have a 98% completed scrapbook of at least 50 pages. (The remaining 2% is reserved for the stragglers who submit their contributions late.) Regardless of the outcome, I shall take comfort in the fact that I am not being graded on this!

P.S. I decided to not take a literal photograph of my organized mess. Instead, I found this one on line. Like the date and place, Jackie?!