Monday, August 19, 2013

just do it

A dear friend posted this link on Facebook the other day and it made me realize how I've come to embrace this idea of using special items now.  The idea of not saving things for special occasions really hit home after my mother passed away.  For most of my life, I was a I'm-going-to-wait-for-the-perfect-moment-to-use-that kind of girl, and consequently, have missed out on exotic chocolates and fun candles because they lost their scent (or taste!) before I could enjoy them. I have tucked special items in a drawer with the intent of pulling them out "at the right time" only to forget about them altogether. Or promised to do things with friends and through a series of unfortunate events had to scrap said plans because life got in the way.  Then one day I had an epiphany, though I didn't recognize it at the time.  Three weeks before my mother was diagnosed with cancer we finally did something we had been talking about for years.  And I mean YEARS.  Yes, it was fun and spontaneous, but it wasn't until later I realized just how precious that memory had become. I was also a little sad we didn't do it earlier. I've always endeavored to not live with regret, no matter how large or small.  So, if I'm going to spend the money to travel I might as well make the most of the experience.  And if something costs a little bit more money so what?  Who knows when (or if) I'll be back.  If someone gives me a gift certificate and I know how I want to use, then why wait six months to make the purchase? This sentiment is neither profound or new, but it has changed how I live my life. When I knew I wanted to use my dad's Christmas money for that longed for iPad, I bought it.  :-)  When someone suggests going out for frozen yogurt or another food related excursion (as often happens in my home) I'm more open to the idea. (I'm trying to not count calories quite as much...)  If I randomly decide I'd like to go ice skating or to the Getty I actually go.  I'm definitely a work in progress and still feel the pull of never-ending household chores, work projects, closets I really ought to clean, errands that need to be run, etc, etc, etc.  But when I'm completely burnt out by life's mundane details something usually reminds me to cherish every moment and make each day count.  Today, that reminder was Natalie's very timely article.

After all, why put off til tomorrow what you can do today.

No comments: