Saturday, July 17, 2010

One Moment in Time


I realized something about myself today. Something I've grappled with for a while, but this morning it hit home in a big way. I realized I haven't been living. Truly living. Enjoying each day for what it brings and treating the s0-called mundane as an adventure.

For example, my friends know I hate coming back from a trip not knowing when my next one will be. Why? Because I love the very idea of travel. Of seeing new places, experiencing new adventures, trying new food (well, maybe not so much this one), and knowing I have just expanded my view of the world. Everything does not revolve around Southern California, and as much as I love living here, there is so much more to see and do. Here is where the realization comes in. I'm always looking to the future. It's always, what's happening tomorrow or next month or in six months. I plan ahead by nature, but what happened to today? Where did right now go? I missed it because I'm looking ahead.

I believe in the perfect moment. When every sense is heightened and you experience that moment to its fullest potential. When time seems to stop, and you could almost live in that moment. Yet somewhere in the past few years I lost this. I forgot to appreciate the beauty of a rainy day or of giant white clouds in the sky or a gentle breeze skipping leaves along the ground.
So, this is my mid-year resolution. To appreciate each day, each moment for what it brings. For...
Each day I live
I want to be
A day to give
The best of me
I'm only one
But not alone
My finest day
Is yet unknown
Give me one moment in time
When I'm more than I thought I could be
When all of my dreams are a heartbeat away
And the answers are all up to me
Give me one moment in time
When I'm racing with destiny
Then in that one moment of time
I will feel
I will feel eternity

No comments: