Saturday, September 8, 2007

Puccini


With regards to the passing of opera legend Luciano Pavarotti, I was compelled to listen to my recording of Nessun Dorma. This aria never fails to move me. It elicits such intense passion and beauty, two characteristics that define why I fell in love with Puccini’s work. The music swells in a never ending expression of joyous ecstasy, and each time I listen I find creative inspiration and emotions swell inside which I cannot explain.

Despite the beauty of the Italian verses, I decided to look up an English translation which I have posted below.

The Prince:
No one shall sleep! ... No one shall sleep!
Even you, O Princess, in your cold room, watch the stars, that tremble with love and with hope.
But my secret is hidden within me, my name no one shall know ...
No! ... No!... On your mouth I will tell it when the light shines.
And my kiss will dissolve the silence that makes you mine! ...
The Chorus of women:
No one will know his name and we must, alas, die.
The Prince:
Vanish, O night! Set, stars! Set, stars!
At dawn, I will win!
I will win! I will win!

No comments: